Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Flashlights

My most recent dream I can remember. This one wasn't lucid, but I think it gives an interesting glimpse into my psyche.

First of all, I think we have proof now that eating way too much sugary crap before bed will bring on weird dreams. Second, here's the dream, or what I can remember of it: I was in my dorm room from SUNYIT, and everything was too dark to see. I was trying to find something (don't know what), and all I had was the flashlight my mom gave me for Christmas. This is an item from real life; she actually gave me a flashlight for Christmas. Let's not dwell on how weird that is.

Anyway, it doesn't have batteries; it's one of those ones where you turn a crank thing and it generates enough electricity to power the light. Well, in the dream it wouldn't work at all, no matter how hard I tried. I was just lost in the dark.

For the record, the real flashlight works fine. It's not crazy bright, but I haven't cranked it in a good month and it still turns on. To me, the fact that the dream equivalent flashlight wouldn't work means one of several things: either I don't understand electricity as well as I thought, a serial killer was after me, I seriously don't trust my mom, or maybe it's just a metaphor for my life. The last one there seems about right.

Anyway, that's just another one for the log. If you have your own interpretation of what it might mean, let me know. Sweet dreams.

UPDATE (November 2011):
Since writing this post, that flashlight actually has more or less died. It will still light up if you crank it vigorously, but it can't hold a charge for more than a matter of seconds. Funny coincidence, or sign of something bigger? I'll leave that up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment